We often serve as retreat leaders, workshop leaders, preachers, and keynote speakers. Our topics include prayer, spiritual formation, and prayer beads.
Certainly, my specialty is in offering prayer bead workshops. They provide an opportunity for me to talk about the history and use of prayer beads, as well as ways to use them in prayer. Participants then get a chance to make their own set of prayer beads to take with them (so fun!). I offer two versions of the workshop: the two-hour session provides enough time to cover the basics and still have time to make prayer beads. The second option is a five-hour session that makes a nice day retreat. It includes time for opening and closing worship, lunch and breaks, prayer-bead-making, and more in-depth information on the history, symbolism, and ways of using prayer beads. It also includes a fun surprise!
I also have a DEEP love for leading retreats. I relish the opportunity to create a theme (often in partnership with the host group), design the various elements of our time together, and prepare the materials. Examples of some retreat themes include:
- Listening to God
- Be Still: Knowing and Loving God in the Midst of Everyday Life
- Living Prayer: Discovering New Ways to Connect with God
- Grace and peace: Seeing God’s Gifts in Our Daily Lives
- Imago Dei: Living Into the Image of God Within Us
- Creativity and the Creator God
- The Great Commandment: Living Out God’s Intention for Us
Whether it’s a one-day, two-day, or weekend event, retreats offer an incredible opportunity to experience the richness of God’s love both individually and communally. Note: retreats CAN include a prayer bead workshop if there is interest. As one prayer tool and way of listening to God, prayer beads can be easily incorporated into a number of retreat themes.
From Sherry Elliott, Executive Director of Interpretation and Development and SOULfeast Manager, Upper Room Ministries:
- Kristen’s workshop is a favorite at SOULfeast, The Upper Room’s annual spiritual formation retreat. Participants of all ages learn new, creative ways to pray with an age-old method, prayer beads. Kristen is a gifted teacher, artist, and person of prayer. She helps us all deepen and broaden our prayer lives.
From participants in our workshops and weekend retreats:
- “Kristen beautifully presented her story and the many objects used over the years as ‘tools’ for praying and meditating. Her instructions for making our own sets were easy to follow and she touched each of us with her personal touch as she crimped the bead to hold and complete . . . crafters and non-crafters left with a completed set of prayer beads.” – SOULfeast participant
- “The highlight of this workshop was the wonderful presentation of prayer beads and their history and how to make them, even though the room was jam-packed.” – SOULfeast participant
- Probably our best retreat ever! Kristen really connected with us and her voice really conveyed the message well. – Leah M.
- You did a phenomenal job at the retreat!! I feel so blessed to have met you and now have a beautiful set of prayer beads!! Thank you! – Laura T.
Interested in booking us for a retreat, workshop, or other speaking engagement? Contact us.