Responses from participants of SOULfeast 2015:
A Bead and A Prayer presentation
- Loved the bead class and that we got to make beads. Bought 2nd book.
- I enjoyed the hands-on experience of making prayer beads.
- LOVED prayer beads, went well with meditations seminar.
- Even though I had experienced a Bead Workshop before (2013), “Count your Blessings: at the Rubin Museum which gave a broader perspective of using beads in prayer, I found this workshop to be more in tune with my Christian faith. Both presenters were very knowledgeable and grounded in their Christian walk and provide wonderful biblical and other anecdotal references to using prayer bead. They made the workshop a hands-on fun experience as well.
- Beads – Excellent. Both knew how to give information clearly and great to have beads to take home.
Another Bead, Another Prayer presentation
- I learned so much from Kristen and Max and will soon begin to use my prayer beads. I am in the process of reading their book.
- I learned about making prayer beads three years ago at SOULfeast. This workshop was helpful in opening up ways that they might be used.
- A definite take away that I will implement in my own life and introduce to the church I serve.
- This session really expanded the understanding of how and why we use prayer beads and the significance we and/or scripture applies to the number of beads. Opened me to the reflective process while thinking more about Conversation vs Contemplation and Devotional Time vs Meditation; sharing and listening. One of the stories shared will cause me to never view Lady Godiva nor the chocolates in the same light!
- Kristen and Max were so personable and fun. I loved their presentation!
From Sherry Elliott, Executive Director of Interpretation and Development and SOULfeast Manager, Upper Room Ministries:
- Kristen’s workshop is a favorite at SOULfeast, The Upper Room’s annual spiritual formation retreat. Participants of all ages learn new, creative ways to pray with an age-old method, prayer beads. Kristen is a gifted teacher, artist, and person of prayer. She helps us all deepen and broaden our prayer lives.
From participants in our workshops and weekend retreats:
- Excellent teacher, great experience of making prayer beads and learning ways to use them. Very informative. I returned home with enthusiasm for sharing prayer beads and creating a new ministry with them at my church. – SOULfeast participant
- Kristen was so kind and gentle; it was easy to learn from her! She has a real passion for praying and using prayer beads, and it shows in her generous sharing of the information, the beads, and herself. She was a delight. – workshop participant
- “Kristen beautifully presented her story and the many objects used over the years as ‘tools’ for praying and meditating. Her instructions for making our own sets were easy to follow and she touched each of us with her personal touch as she crimped the bead to hold and complete . . . crafters and non-crafters left with a completed set of prayer beads.” – SOULfeast participant
- What a gift! Kristen has opened a whole new way of prayer to me and I will share with others! – workshop participant
- “The highlight of this workshop was the wonderful presentation of prayer beads and their history and how to make them, even though the room was jam-packed.” – SOULfeast participant
- Probably our best retreat ever! Kristen really connected with us and her voice really conveyed the message well. – Leah M.
- You did a phenomenal job at the retreat!! I feel so blessed to have met you and now have a beautiful set of prayer beads!! Thank you! – Laura T.