With the exception of one year, my family and I have been regulars at SOULfeast, The Upper Room‘s annual retreat “to nourish the soul.” Located in gorgeous Lake Junaluska, NC, SOULfeast is a rich spiritual experience. I love it for many reasons, but here are my top five:
- Worship is amazing! Gorgeous liturgical art, great music, rich sermons, Eucharist – it’s all there.
- Awesome speakers! This year the keynote speaker is Elaine Heath. Elaine served on faculty for The Academy for Spiritual Formation and was one of my favorites. She has a deep connection with the Holy Spirit and shares that in a way that is accessible, funny, and encouraging. I’m so excited to hear her again!
- Great leadership! You get to take workshops from some great folks. Not only that, you have opportunities throughout the week to sit with them, share meals with them, chat with them, and get to know them.
- Fun for the whole family! Our family loves going because there is something for everyone, no matter your age. Our son, Matthew, has developed some great friendships there and loves participating in the kid’s programs.
- Time to renew and refresh your spiritual life! Rest, pray, walk, laugh, take photos, draw, sleep, eat, chat, watch the stars – it’s all there.
Max and I will be teaching two afternoon workshops: one is our “intro to prayer beads” workshop that is based on my book, A Bead and a Prayer: A Beginner’s Guide to Protestant Prayer Beads. The second is an “advanced” workshop on prayer beads based on our book, Another Bead, Another Prayer: Devotions for Use with Protestant Prayer Beads. We will also participate in a book signing and a roundtable author reading.
SOULfeast is scheduled for July 12 – 16, 2015. The theme is “Renew Your People.”
I hope you will join us! If you think you will, go ahead and register now so you can get a discounted rate. Registration fees increase as of June 1st!